Spotlight On: Brian Lawrence
Name: Brian Lawrence
Title: Account Manager
Joined Mediaocean: Started at Donovan in 1995, came back in 2005.
College: West Virginia State University
Tell us about your journey. Why advertising and technology?
I moved to New York to start a career in broadcasting. I was the “Voice of the Yellow Jackets,” announcing football and basketball games, hosting and producing radio and TV shows in college, and I had worked at the top NBC affiliate station in West Virginia’s largest market (Charleston-Huntington, WV). But this “plan” provided humbling experiences. I accepted a position as a sales assistant at Blair television (now known as Petry), while pursuing a few promising sportscasting opportunities. I liked working on the business side of media, and the thought of spending years slowly working my way to ESPN just didn’t seem as appealing as it once did. After stops at Comcast (local cable advertising sales) and Nielsen Media Research, I found a home at DDS. There was so much to like about DDS that after a four-year stop again at Nielsen, I returned to DDS in 2005. And here I am…
What are a few of your strengths and passions? How has working at Mediaocean enabled you to flex some of these muscles?
Matching client needs with what we have to offer. Client needs change, and our platforms are evolving to meet those needs. You need a combination of project management, problem solving, effective communication, relationship building, openness to learn new things, and adaptability to meet this challenge. My job never gets old.
In what ways has working at Mediaocean challenged you and enabled you to grow?
Just when I figure out all the answers, someone changes all the questions…
What do you enjoy most about working at Mediaocean?
• The people
• Great work environment
• Mentorship program
• There is no company better positioned to be the leader in the emerging world of media convergence. Very excited about the possibilities.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years and what role does Mediaocean play in helping you get there?
• I see myself here, in digital advertising - Mediaocean is positioned to spearhead the industry in its efforts to reach convergence.
• Or, living in a beachfront on the island of Barbados counting my mega-million dollar lottery winnings from the ticket I bought with my Mediaocean salary…
What’s your favorite employee perk at Mediaocean?
The champion softball team and our themed holiday parties.
Cats or dogs?
Dogs (preferably Beagles, they’re the best).
Give some tips for someone looking to land a job like yours.
• Have a good understanding of what Mediaocean has to offer, as well as an understanding of our clients’ business.
• Show that you are assertive.
• Show your sense of humor; you will have to call on it from time to time…
What’s your favorite TV show?
“Law and Order” (the original series). But it’s tied with “Frasier.”